[Farmall] Crank Bearing Repair

Chris Klossner Klossner at worldnet.att.net
Fri Feb 9 00:00:27 PST 2007

  A while back I mentioned repairing the type of hand crank bearing for
the 10-20, 15-30, or the tractractors.  I took a few pictures of the
process.  The first part is turning the bearing down to about 2 1/4".
That usually removes most of the break and does not cut in to the grease
passage. http://home.att.net/~klossner/crank1.jpg This one did not quite
clean up but what is missing will be filled with weld. The next part is
to cut out the replacement flange.  I flame cut the plate it does
require a little more grinding but I think it is still faster than with
the band saw. http://home.att.net/~klossner/crank2.jpg  Once that is
ground to shape find the center and drill to match the casting.  I use a
hole saw little easier on things removing that much material and it does
not have to be a precise fit. http://home.att.net/~klossner/crank3.jpg
The grease fitting boss helps line the parts up for welding.
http://home.att.net/~klossner/crank4.jpg  The part can be welded or
brazed.  I welded this one since it had more to fill in from the
original break.  Preheating is a little more forgiving since the
replacement flange is mild steel. It is still enough heat to crystallize
the old grease.  http://home.att.net/~klossner/crank5.jpg
http://home.att.net/~klossner/crank6.jpg  To center punch the mounting
holes I clamp it to the tractor with the crank in place so every thing
lines up.

  Chris Klossner
 http://home.att.net/~klossner/