[AT] Microwave Internet?

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 10:49:57 PST 2007

Gene,

I set the IP phone up myself and used TelaSIP as a provider. After
some tinkering I was able to get it going. Probably not for everyone
but if you have a low-latency IP connection, you might be able to set
it up. Unless they put some sort of filter on it to prevent you from
doing an end run on their service. In my case, the provider (a local
guy) says: "you're paying for a connection and I'm providing it"
meaning they don't filter anything unless it becomes a problem. We're
2 or 3 hops off an OC-12 so they don't have a lot of trouble with the
users saturating the connection to the internet. :) And the guy knows
most of his customers on a first-name basis, so I can call him and he
knows where I am and who I am. I like that. It's not a call center in
India (earthstink) like I used to have.

Oh, one other benefit of the IP phone. If you do a lot of calls to a
particular area, you can get select the area code that would benefit
you the most. My neighbor's wife is from Australia but her son got a
local area code on his IP phone so he can talk to his Mom and it's a
local call. From Australia. Long distance carriers see this is the end
of their pay-per-call revenue and haven't come up with a way of
stopping it. Can't stop progress...

BTW, it costs a little more for my service than DSL costs but I'm in
an unincorporated (county island) area in the metropolitan Phoenix
area that has 25 year old phone lines and is too far from the CO for
DSL to work. My Dad in Montana can get DSL on the farm but here I am
in the "big city" and have to use wireless to get high speed service.
such is life. :)

Ken in AZ