[atis] [AT] O/T satellite internet

Stuart Harner sharner at starband.net
Tue Feb 6 18:26:19 PST 2007

I feel compeled to jump in here.  I was a StarBand dealer for 3 years and have
been a customer for 6.  While some people have had problems, I have been happy
with my service.  Do I wish it costs less and was faster?  Of course, who
wouldn't?

Bottom line is, where I live, dialup (if you can keep it working) runs at 26,400
at best.  My StarBand averages 500,000 kb/sec.  Upload speeds are about 50,000,
about the same as a very good dialup.

Of the 3 services available, I would give Wild Blue a look as well as StarBand.
StarBand was bought out a year or so ago and their customer support has gone
downhill a lot since then.  I am lucky in that I don't need to call them all that
often.

Weather can cause outages in any satellite system as well as interference from
the sun for a couple of hours a day for a few days each spring and fall.  My up
time has been really good, considering all the things that could go wrong.
Unless you are uploading large files the upload speed is not that big of a deal.
The higher download speeds over dialup more than make up for it.

Good luck,

Stuart
trading high speed internet for life in the country is a good trade to me!