[AT] New Tractor

Sheppard, Charles E sheppard at indiana.edu
Tue Feb 6 11:42:18 PST 2007

This is a little off-topic, but still relates to diesels:  I will retire
from Indiana University in June after 37 years working in Facilities.
With the blessing of my good wife, I am going to buy a NEW tractor.  I
have a friend who has a JD 4420 and I really like it.  But his is
naturally aspirated and the new ones have turbochargers and other
gadgets to meet the new regulations on diesel emissions.  This really
has me concerned---to the point I might look for something used instead.
Is this needless worry?  Should I go ahead and indulged myself and take
the chance that the beautiful green tractor I have dreamed of for years
will turn out to be a money hole or buy something simpler and inherit
someone else's problems?

When I retire, the one thing I will really miss is the high-speed
internet connection.  At home I have only dial-up available.  The power
company keeps saying they will implement BPL, but I think they are
having problems with the technology.  Anybody have advice on HughesNet
satellite service to share?  I am told by some that upload speeds are
not all that good.