[AT] Off Topic re Fuel Tank

Larry D Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Tue Feb 6 12:06:26 PST 2007

Welding a gas tank is duck soup and fairly straight forward provided that
you fill it with water first and use something quick like a wire welder.
The one thing you can't do is try to use heat on it when it's empty.  The
metal absorbs volatiles out of the gasoline.  Those are driven out by the
heat, and immediately explode when they hit air.  That's the Whoof! you
heard.  Before putting it back in service, the tank needs to be flushed out
well with Solox to make sure all the water is absorbed before putting
gasoline back in it.

Larry