[AT] "diesel" engines running backward

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Mon Feb 5 22:45:39 PST 2007

Len Rugen wrote:
> I've heard of run away's when cable plows cut a gas line, from fuel in the
> air.  Is that the same flapper?  My BIL plowed phone line in TX and OK and
> it was rumored that a lot of oil wells had lines to the area homes for well
> head gas heating.
>
> ---

Our ALF fire engine is Detroit powered. It has two ways to shut the
engine down if she starts to run away. One is a toggle switch that just
trips a solenoid which turns a flap in the intake sideways to stop the
air. It also has a BIG flap that can drop down and block the intakes on
the blower, that has a manual cable. When we first got it there were a
couple times when someone would try to grab it for use on a call and it
wouldn't start. I went up to look at it and told them it wasn't getting
air into the engine. They laughed and kind of looked at me like I was
drunk. So I looked closer and found the toggle switch. Flipped it and
GEE the rig fired up and ran fine...

--
Steve W.