[AT] Canola to diesel; now skiing and icecream

Herbert Metz metz-h.b at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 5 18:40:37 PST 2007

Ron
Don't know whether your next to last sentence was serious of joking; won't
ask.
But it did remind me that many decades ago, people occasionally jacked up
one rear wheel on a Ford Model A or whatever, threw it in gear, and used
that as power source for making home made icecream in an old hand crank
freezer.   Memory is vague as to whether they attached a pulley to the hand
crank(?), and whether this pulley was turned by direct contact with rear
wheel or by belt in contact with rear wheel(?) or by belt in contact with a
pulley secured to disc of rear wheel(?).  This last method was used by the
local sky club for powering our ski tow on a nice slope north of Morrison,
ILL (early 70's).  One of our members did a good job splicing the tow rope.
Herb