[AT] "diesel" engines running backward

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Mon Feb 5 17:48:14 PST 2007

Dan,  based on my experience with a Detroit emergency shutdown I hope you
never need to use it.  When I was a rookie driver in a Brockway with an 8V
71 I pulled up to a stop sign one day.  When I pushed the clutch in and took
my foot of the gas pedal the engine flew wide open and would not slow down.
Being a rookie I had no way of knowing that the throttle cable had come
loose from the lever on the injection rack.  I had heard about Detroits
running away and assumed that was what was happening.  So, I pulled the
emergency stop with the engine taching 2450 RPM's.   It stopped..... after a
good bit of snorting and blowing.  One of the other drivers stopped and told
me what was wrong.  We hooked the cable back up, I fired her off and away I
went.   About an hour up the road I realized she was running hot.  I was
close to our shop so I pulled in.  I told the mechanic but he was a smart
A## who layed his hand on the top of the radiator and told me I didn't know
what I was talking about and sent me on down the road.

The top of the radiator wasn't hot because there was no water left in it and
about another hour up the road I coasted to the side, called the shop and
told them to send a wrecker for it.  She was fried.
Something about pulling that emergency stop caused the engine to loose it's
coolant.

I actually have seen 2 Detroits run away.  One was a 6 71 in a concrete mix
truck.  They got it shut down but it was ruined.  The other was a 3 53 in a
log skidder.   The mechanic fired it up after a new rebuild and forgot to
hook up the linkage on the rack first.  It hand grenaded and blew parts all
over the shop.  (no it wasn't the same mechanic).

Charlie