[AT] Diesel Fuel from Waste?

Sheppard, Charles E sheppard at indiana.edu
Mon Feb 5 08:15:21 PST 2007

I am not a frequent list reader, so I hope this isn't something already
discussed.

The idea of waste-to-fuel is explained at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_depolymerization  The break-even
price of the fuel oil is around $60.00.  If I were an oil producer
interested in making as much money as possible, I would form a cartel
(read monopoly) to control the market price.  I would restrict
production, forcing prices up.  When my customers complained too loudly
or threatened to develop alternative fuel sources (read ethanol,
butanol, soydiesel....), I would increase production to quiet the
complaints and discourage new ventures.  After a respite, I would go at
it again.  Sound familiar?  IMHO, this is a political problem and not a
technical one.

Slightly different theme:  Did anyone see DIY over the weekend?  The
program "Weekend Mechanic" described modification of a F-150 to improve
mileage by 10 mpg.  They installed a cold air induction system, a
throttle body spacer, a smaller muffler and 'Y' pipes and a tonneau
(sp?) cover for the bed.  Then they changed the engine computer program.
This is all supposed to be street legal.  Any opinions on whether this
is hype?  IF we could all get 10 mpg improvement, that would go along
way toward helping the energy crisis.  It also begs the question, "Why
isn't this included on a factory vehicles?"