[AT] Canola to diesel

George Willer gwill at gwill.net
Sun Feb 4 10:54:53 PST 2007

Mike,

Maybe I was a bit hasty... maybe it's only the auto engines I'm quite
familiar with that aren't true diesels.  They are NOT compression ignition,
a requirement for diesel, as I understand the term.  They have a throttle
plate that restricts the intake severely at low speeds, resulting in
compression ratios far below those required for true diesel operation...
possibly less than 3:1 at idle.  This throttle plate is not to be confused
with the safety plate working like a check valve to prevent the engine from
running backward.

They require glow plugs for starting and a heated ball pin (acting like a
constant glow plug) for continued running.  A broken ball pin will make the
cylinder unable to fire.  The injectors feed into a pre-chamber containing
both the glow plug and the heated ball pin.  The combustion begins there and
is forced through an orfice into the main combustion chamber.

It's understandable that many Mercedes owners aren't aware of the odd
ignition system since it's unlikely many even consider working on them.  Of
the eight I've owned 6 have been "diesels" and I've completely rebuilt most
of them.

George Willer