[AT] E85/Flex Fuel conversions

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Sat Feb 3 17:15:46 PST 2007

David A. Laughead Jr. wrote:
> I haven't found or heard much about E85 fuels. What I know is that not many
> vehicles can run it. I support it fully.
>
> I have found less about conversions for non compatible vehicles. But I did
> just find this product I guess I need to look into it further. Go here for
> it http://flextek.com/index.htm
>
> I thought this could be a good discussion,
> Dave Laughead
> Arcanum, ohio

Well I can tell you that under current laws it is illegal to modify a
vehicle that runs unleaded so it will run on E85. The only legal way is
to have the vehicle certified as a complete vehicle. No kits allowed now.

http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/faqs/conversion.php

Note that Flextek states that

The EPA has actually condoned converting vehicles, saying "... consumers
who want existing vehicles to accommodate ethanol-blended gasoline
beyond E10 might have to modify engines..."
They never suggest that such modification may be subject to EPA
certification.1

 >>> REALLY?  I guess this part must have missed the team there.
Following these three extensions, Option 3 of the addendum to Memo 1A
officially expired on March 31, 2002.  Option 3 had permitted the use of
alternative fuel conversion systems or "kits," which were designed for
specific engine families, provided that the aftermarket conversion
company performed satisfactory emission testing demonstrating that the
converted vehicles conformed with EPA emissions standards. Options 1 and
2 remain in effect, and EPA now certifies converted vehicles, rather
than conversion systems or "kits."

Also, according to the EPA, our modification does not violate the
Anti-tampering law as long as we have a reasonable basis for knowing
that emissions are not adversely affected.2

And here is the words from the EPA themselves.
   EPA’s policy is and has been that any alteration from an original
configuration of a vehicle or engine as certified under Title II of the
Act may constitute tampering under Section 203(a)(3). Routine
maintenance and repair of vehicles and engines requires the use of
replacement parts which may be non-original or “aftermarket” parts or
systems. EPA’s Office of Enforcement and General Counsel issued Mobile
Source Enforcement Memorandum 1A (Memo1A) on June 25, 1974 to provide
guidance to covered parties regarding how the Agency intended to enforce
the “tampering” prohibition under Section 203(a)(3) of the Clean Air Act
(Act) with respect to maintenance and the use of aftermarket parts.

We do have a reasonable basis for knowing that emissions are not
adversely affected:

According to the Iowa Department of Agriculture:
Ethanol burns cleaner than gasoline:

E85 vehicles reduce harmful hydrocarbon and benzene emissions when
compared to vehicles running on gasoline: and

E85 can also reduce carbon dioxide (C02),3

Even though we believe use of our product does not violate the
Anti-tampering law, we are proceeding with EPA approved testing to
demonstrate the effectiveness of our conversion system.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York