[AT] Canola to diesel

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Sat Feb 3 15:35:40 PST 2007

Anyone else hearing interesting things about converting Canola to diesel
fuel?  I believe that one efficiency study that said ethanol from corn was
18% energy positive calculated canola to diesel was in the range of 400%,
using the same protocols.  Please don't hold me to these being the exact
numbers, but the economics of canola are much more favorable.  It may have
even been the Cornell study, but I think that their result was the ethanol
from corn was about 20% to the bad.  Canola is easy to grow (at least in the
northern states and Canada) requires few inputs and is weather tolerant.  I
know there is a small group in this area that is trying it on a very small
scale, but are just getting underway.
Anyone else doing anything with Canola?

Carl Gogol
Manlius, NY