[AJD] Unstyled radiator caps

John Boehm rustyacres at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 3 11:45:32 PST 2007

Since the list has been pretty quiet lately anyway, I
thought I would bring up a topic of discussion  that
has me wondering.

I am currently restoring the late 1938 B, serial #
56444, that my grandfather bought new and has been in
the family ever since. At some time in the past, the
knob on the radiator cap was replaced with a homemade
one. There are two knobs that were used on unstyled
caps, the D363R and the slightly larger A1198R.  I
assume the D363R was the earlier knob as this is seen
on most D's and GP's. On A's and B's, I've seen a real
mixture of the two different knobs and, at least on my
tractors, they are mixed up on different years. The
PC 674 (unst. A) and PC676 (unst. B) are no help as
they list only the A1198R, which I figure at some
point was the only replacement available for either
knob. PC 369 for the G, shows both types with a
changeover to the A1198R knob at serial # 4250, part
way through the 1938 year.

I am inclined to go with the later A1198R on this B,
but am curious if anyone with earlier parts catalogs
can pinpoint when this change took place on the Models
A and B.

Thanks,

John Boehm
Woodland, CA