[AT] Selling or keeping tractors - (was)1946 Farmall H

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Thu Feb 1 10:24:33 PST 2007

-----Original Message-----
Gene,
Having driven this one, I'd like to have one someday too!   Compared to even
the 560 I've driven before that thing is a beast!!  And it has HUGE tires on
the back.   23.1x26 I think?   He has a set of duals for it even!  He also
has a set of MINT fenders for it.
I should put you in touch with the owner.   He has been collecting/trading
the wheatlands for a while and has a couple of Cases.   I don't know which
model but IIRC they are both propane.  He told me this summer he thought he
should really sell most of them, but he was talking about keeping the 660
and painting it up this winter since he's had it so long.  Not sure if he'll
get around to it or not!
Got any pictures of yours?
Mike

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

	Sell it or keep it? A no brainer to me for some time. You just keep it and
try to find more... I used to buy and sell some old tractors years ago but I
never sold one that I wouldn't love to have back now. I am now considering
"m a y b e" the outside possible iffy chance of whether I should sell one of
mine now. I probably won't... It's just that I may never work it again and
it is not very practical to show. My old 4020 Deere has long been my spring
tillage workhorse on this farm. I have used it (not lately) to plow with a
4-16 semi-mounted plow that it just played with. I have more recently used
it to pull a deep 10' chisel plow and a 24' field cultivator. I have used it
the most pulling an IHC 16' disk deep disking at just over 6 MPH. Another
tool it plays with. While it is not the hugely in demand power shift wide
front diesel most farmers snap up for big money it has served me very well
and is very efficient under heavy loads. I have used it for little else
since it uses almost as much fuel on light work as it does heavy work. This
one is an early tricycle front (Rollamatic) non powershift gas tractor with
the shifter on the dash and an aftermarket cab.
	I only get it out of the shed for spring work and it went right back in
when I finished planting. It has been a long time since I used it for
anything else. Well, I have used it with an old county highway blade that we
converted to 3 point and use to push some snow backwards. As most of you
know I retired from grain farming last year so it has not been out of the
barn since spring 2005... I do fire it up a couple of times a year and stick
a float charger on it now and then.
I am really torn about selling it or keeping it... I want to paint it and
keep it but it is really too heavy to be hauling around to shows with the
rig I use. I don't recall its weight right now but it is heavy. I could
drive it to the local show but I finally gave up on the local club and the
other club besides Portland I belong to and show at is Greensburg IN and I
don't really want to drive it that far.
Even though it is not the prime in demand model I could still sell it for
enough to buy 2 or 3 decent old smaller tractors. But then if I do that I'm
afraid that I will suddenly need a bigger tractor again. I hate burning
bridges...   ;-)
I'm starting to feel like Hank Kimball...   ;-)

--
"farmer"
Proud owner of several cordless hatchets and a large collection of

"Axe me no questions and I'll tell you no lies"

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana, USA
robinson at svs.net