[AT] oil change

George Willer gwill at gwill.net
Sat Dec 8 06:37:34 PST 2007

You quoted only part of my post, Ralph.  As a pilot, carburetor icing was
one of the very first things I learned about.  Applying carburetor heat is
part of EVERY landing in an aircraft with a carbureted engine because ice
can form at most normal temperatures and can cause the engine to quit when
the power is reduced and full power won't be available if needed for a
go-around. It isn't only the Cockshutt 40, but ANY carburetor will do it on
the inside when the venturi refrigeration effect causes the incoming humid
air to cool below its dew point and that happens to be below the freezing
point.  I'll say it again differently... IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WIND
CHILL.  Taking a picture won't be necessary but maybe you can make the
effort to understand why it happens?

Here's the part you left out of the quote...

"Wind can slightly hasten inanimate objects equalizing to ambient due to the
thin insulating boundary layer of air blowing away, but it can never cause
them to be colder.

The refrigeration effect of vaporizing fuel in a venturi is a whole
different unrelated subject.

The car doesn't really have any exposed skin to feel the apparent cold
with."

George