[AT] OT - Cider Mill update

Keith Kinney kkinney at herculesengines.com
Sun Dec 30 20:15:06 PST 2007

Thanks for all the nice comments about our cider mill
restoration.  It was a great project and it having been in the family
makes it especially rewarding.

Both my kids have completed 10 years each in 4-H where our local 4-H
association has a project called Americana.  The Americana project
encourages kids to display a antique in one of many categories
ranging from household items to farm equipment in either original
condition or restored.  It's purpose is to help the kids develop an
appreciation for their heritage.  With my dad and I collecting old
engines, tractors etc. my kids have taken on many projects around the
barn with the cider mill being the last.  It ends up being a family
project with my dad, son, wife and friends pitching in to assist in
the projects.  It is a terrific learning experience for the kids.  On
this particular project we milled the lumber on our sawmill from logs
cut on family property.  We dried the lumber in our wood kiln.  Then
we machined the wood parts in our workshop.  About the only thing we
farmed out was the cleaning of the metal parts.  These we took to a
local company called Redi-strip that dips the parts in a vat of
chemicals. When they come back they look like they just came from the
foundry.  From there we worked on repairing the broken or worn parts,
painted and reassembled the parts.  It's would be hard to list all
the different skills Isaac learned, or was at least exposed to , on a
project like this.  We still plan to cast a couple of minor internal
parts and add some pin striping but I'm as proud of Isaac and this
mill as about any other project we have taken on.

Someone asked about the log structure in the background.  That's
another one of our restoration project.  It is a log house that was
originally built in 1840. We tore it down and moved it and rebuilt it
behind my parents house.  My wife and I lived in it for the first
year and a half of our marriage.  Here is a web page with more of the details:
http://www.herculesengines.com/logcabin/logcabin.html
If anyone is in the area and needs a place to spend a night or two
let me know.  The cabin us usually available and it is only 50 or so
feet away from the barns that house our treasures.  We like sharing
it with like minded folks.

I'm not sure if we will be taking this mill to any shows.  I'd love
to but it's not the easiest thing to haul around and we would need
lots of water for cleanup if we were to make cider at a
show.  Anybody have any experience with this sort of thing?

Thanks for looking and for all the nice complements.

Keith

PS:  Here are some of our other 4-H Americana project if you're interested.
http://www.herculesengines.com/NewAdditions/default.htm
http://www.herculesengines.com/Superior%2025HP/
http://www.herculesengines.com/mills/Default.htm

Keith Kinney