[Farmall] Cold and starting fluid

farmallgray at aol.com farmallgray at aol.com
Sat Dec 29 06:45:55 PST 2007

My Dad (who has been a mechanic for over 40 yrs) has always said not to use it in small air cooled engines. I tore a cub cadet engine down a couple years ago that had? half the skirt broken off the piston. When Dad saw it, he said someone must have used ether to start it. Now that being said, I don't think starting fluid is nearly as volitile as it used to be in years past. I don't use it and don't even keep it in my shop. But I don't have any diesel powered machines. I have?sprayed carb cleaner in engines as a diagnosis to determine if there is a fuel delivery problem, but not as a cold weather starting aid. I have used it ocasionally in the past for mounting tubeless tires, but it doesn't work very well for that anymore. I suspect that may be the reason why it isn't as volatile as it used to be :-). Anymore I pretty much use tubes in all my tires except my road vehicles. If I need to mount vehicle tires, I take them to a buddy who has a tire machine.

My question for you is; did you try to start it without the ether? If you didn't, how do you know it wouldn't have started right off anyway?? I would only try it if it won't start normally, and then in a very small amount.

Todd Markle
Spring Mills, Pa.