[AT] Check planting

Dean Van Peursem deanvp at att.net
Thu Dec 27 17:12:24 PST 2007

 Dudley,

My memory of 50 years ago isn't so good any more. My recollection is that
checking the corn was the norm. But on the better soil that may have just
come out of an alfalfa crop rotation we might have drilled that to get more
seeds per acre. I think another consideration was how clean (weed free) the
field was to begin with. Some fields were allot cleaner, less weeds, than
others. Dirty fields had to be checked to keep the weeds down.  There were
all kinds of pesky weeds that would pop up randomly such as foxtail,
sunflowers, morning glories, thistles and cockelberries.  We would walk the
fields, hand cut out the weeds, to try and keep these down the best we could
on top of cross cultivating. Soy bean fields were another story. There was
no free time on the farm in those days.

A funny anecdote.  My father would always have a hand held corn knife on the
tractor that had a mounted two row corn picker on it. City folks would ask
why he needed that corn knife on that tractor. He would explain that
sometimes the corn ears got too big so he would have to cut them in half so
they would go up the pickers elevator. :-) In realty the corn knife would be
used to cut out nasty weeds ahead of the corn picker so they wouldn't get
into the picker and contaminate the corn in the wagon. The same guy also
informed people that he had to take gas out of the gas tank on his John
Deere's occasionally because they ran so economically!  :-)

PS: The ears of those days were much larger than they are today.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

"He who makes decisions in haste repents at his leisure."

www.deerelegacy.com