[AT] Check planting

DBigdog DBigdog at columbus.rr.com
Thu Dec 27 10:16:49 PST 2007

It's been a while but around here (central Ohio) check planting was done on
40" -  42" rows.  It was strictly done for weed control as at that time
spray-on herbicides were unheard of.  Cultivation was the only means of weed
control and cross-plowing assured the best coverage of weed control.  Plant
population was not nearly as dense as straight row-planted corn but the
gains from weed control made it viable.  Some farmers use it up until the
late 50's.  Didn't see it much after that.