[AT] Check planting

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Wed Dec 26 16:34:31 PST 2007

I'm not sure I understand the need for check planting.  My knowledge of
planting corn around here only goes back to the early 50's but I think it
was done the same then as in earlier years.  The same proceedure was used
for horse drawn and for tractor.  Most of the tractors were Farmall  A's
Allis B's and a few JD M's etc.
The corn was planted on relatively flat rows.  The hills weren't as close
together as they are now but seems to me that they were about 12" or less
apart.  When the corn was small it was cultivated one row at a time and the
row was gradually built up by pulling dirt from the middles up onto the row.
Excess grass and weeds that the plows couldn't get were done by hand with
weeding hoes.  Once the corn got big enough to "lay by" (last time the
tractor could get through the field without tearing the corn down) it had
started to shade out the middles and weed control was not that big a
problem, usually.  In severe weed situations we might hoe it again but most
of the time after lay by it had to fend for it's self.

Some of the fertilizer was put in the row under the seed at planting time.
Then it was "side dressed" from a tractor mounted hopper during plowing.  As
Farmerbeal said, that took some time because of stopping to fill the hopper.
I don't think ours would hold more than maybe 200 lbs.   By the time I came
along in the 50's the small farmers like us (30 to 50 acres) had started
using custom applicators to put out liquid nitrogen.  That was done with
high crop tractors (seems to me that most of them were Fords of some sort).
They pulled a rig that had one tine for each row and the nitrogen was
injected through the tine into the ground.  I used to love to watch those
guys.  With a B Allis you cultivated at a slow walk.  These guys were flying
low.  I guess close to 10 mph and usually dragging down the tops of the corn
pretty bad but it didn't seem to hurt it.  The corn was usually about 3 feet
high when they came.

What was the need to check plant?  Was that done in areas with severe weed
and grass problems or was it just another way that kind of a regional thing?

Charlie