[AT] Check planting

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Wed Dec 26 19:08:29 PST 2007

Charlie,

>From my earliest memories - which would be the tail end of the war - to 1954
(when we moved from farm country) I remember seeing lots of corn fields that
had been check planted in our part of southern Illinois.  Those fields,
where you could look East/West or North/South or on a 45 and see nice
straight rows, stood out in my mind even as a kid.  If I had to venture a
guess I would say maybe a third of the corn fields in our part of the
country were planted this way.  I seem to recall the theory as being like
you'd save on seed, would have less weeds and still get the same, or close
to it, yield since the corn would grow bigger ears as it had more room
between hills in the row.

This corn planting thread reminds me of soybean planting.  Beans were big -
I don't mean in size but in acreage - in southern Illinois and just like
corn were planted in one of two ways.  As I seem to recall maybe half of the
bean fields around us were drilled in and half were planted in rows with the
corn planter.  And I think the theory was the same as that for check
planting corn.  That is, beans in rows took less seed and, since they could
be cultivated, would have fewer weeds and, since there was greater space
between the plants, rowed beans would produce about the same yield as
drilled beans.  But of course you would have the extra expense of
cultivating -

Now whether or not this theory about corn and bean planting really was true
I don't know as I' am relying on events/observations that are fifty plus
years old and haven't been refreshed.  Hopefully some younger memories will
chime in.

Dudley
Snohomish, Washington