[AT] About "Live" PTO

Dean Van Peursem deanvp at att.net
Wed Dec 26 11:30:41 PST 2007

Ted,

I'll take a stab at this. Prior to "Live PTO" or w/o the option the PTO
would only be operable if you were in gear and moving with the clutch
engaged.  Usually driven off the transmission. "Live PTO" was driven off of
the engine rather than the transmission. So if the engine was running and
PTO engaged one could get PTO power w/o being in gear and moving. Various
manufacturers accomplished this in different ways and some had a separate
clutch to engage/disengage the "Live PTO" while the engine was running.

This option/feature was very helpful when attached to a harvesting implement
such as a PTO driven baler so the baler could be up to speed before starting
to feed the windrow when moving forward with the normal transmission clutch.
Makes things allot easier with less broken shear pins, etc.

Some tractors included an "over running clutch" internally and others
required a "over running clutch" to be inserted in the tractor's PTO drive
train or on the implement PTO drive train to avoid having the implement
rotational inertia drive the tractor PTO when stopping and/or slowing down.
This situation is and can be very dangerous.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

"He who makes decisions in haste repents at his leisure."

www.deerelegacy.com