[Farmall] I hate mice

James Moran jrmoraninc at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 26 06:37:26 PST 2007

I already related to member Mike Sloane what happened at our house last week (deer-wise).   Here are the broad strokes for the rest of you.....
My wife and I get up at about 5 AM daily and, of course, it stays still quite dark at this time of year (things don't brighten up until maybe 7 AM).  We have been having more deer problems than usual.  Behind our house is an in ground gunite pool which is "closed" with a winter cover (some water from rainfall sits on top of it, of course and it is now frozen).  This pool has been in place for well over twenty years and it is enclosed by a wooden fence that I built all that time ago.  It consists of "top and bottom" 2x4 horizontal cross member sections secured between 4x4 posts, encased in concrete.  Between the horizontal lumber, vertical 1x1 slats complete the enclosure, along with a gate that is chained closed.
Anyway, deer (this year) have been leaping the fence (four feet high or a little more) and getting inside of the pool area.  They always came up close to the house and would nibble the plantings my wife had placed around the outside of the pool fence, but had never venture inside of the pool area.  I had noticed this atypical behavior and had called the DEC about it.  I got some ridiculous "advice" from them over the phone, but I DID report this, as I was concerned that a deer would step onto the pool surface itself and, if things thawed, would break through and cause some serious trouble.
On this past Friday, we got us as usual and my wife left for school around 6:30.  When the sun came up, I looked out of the window only to see a deer wedged between a fence post and one of the vertical slats.  It was "half-in/half-out" and still very much alive.  It was thrashing about and obviously in distress.  I thought about just shooting it (I am NOT a hunter and do NOT care for venison, BTW), but decided, rather, to call the DEC.  After about an hour, an officer showed up and we went back to take a look...he was even considering, maybe, trying to "free" the deer (a "button buck" he told me...about a year old).  Upon examination, he chose to shoot the deer and the remains were hauled out to the road where the town highway department collect same.  There was plenty of damage as a result of this and why the damn deer elected to try to "bust through" the tight confines of the fence, I cannot say.
I know that this has been a long-winded story.  This day (12/26) some authoritative fellow is going to pay me a visit.  My goal is a liberal "nuisance permit" to cull the herd(s).  I have friends who hunt and enjoy the meat.  We will see what this guy says.
Uggh!
Jim

Al Jones <aljones at ncfreedom.net> wrote: Coyotes....

We have em around here John.  Can't tell if they've made a dent in the
deer population yet, but if we MUST have coyotes, I hope they eat all of
'em.  I'm not real crazy about the coyotes mind you, but if they'd eat
about half the deer in eastern NC--make that 2/3 of them--I could learn
to live with them.  Either that, or I hope the deer eat all the yuppies'
bushes and grass in Raleigh, Cary, Chapel Hill, and Charlotte. Then
maybe the powers that be will start to care....

Al