[AT] Farmall Cub and Mowing

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Tue Dec 25 14:03:21 PST 2007

    Farmer;
    Yes, we all love our cubs. Mine just doesn't have an assigned job here,
so mostly gets ignored. Hasn't moved since I put it in the barn from
Cubfest. I did fix the front tire that leaked down after a couple of months.
Pulled it off and broke it down and removed the tube to find it had a
leaking valve core. Long way around to replace a core. Thought about getting
it out of the barn and into the shop to do some minor work on it, but would
have to move 3 tractors to get it out, so maybe tomorrow?
    The Cub mower was bad about leaving clumps of cut grass which was
undesirable on the airstrip. The Gravely and John Deere 240 both do a better
job. The JD does the best job mowing, but the Gravely is a lot faster and
throws the grass out better. I like to mow from the center out to keep the
clippings off the strip.
    For some reason when I mow the new grass I planted, where we plowed with
the cubs, the Gravely throws out small, tight tufts of grass and only on the
new grass. It works fine on all other areas. The past summer I mowed it with
the John Deere and it works fine. Have to use the Deere around the house and
along the drive since the Gravely is too wide to follow the hills.
    I do notice that since I have been controlling the broadleaf weeds and
the clover that I can mow faster and have less clogging of the mower deck.
Don't have many of them Yaller flowers since I started using "Triplet".
    Funny how we miss doing a job that we hardly have time to do when it
needs done. Just like the snow that we have to clear, hate to see it come,
but can't wait to get the Carrharrs on and get out in it.

                        Gene