[AT] Farmall Cub

Larry D Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Tue Dec 25 11:34:44 PST 2007

IMHO, it isn't the brand of mower as much as the way it is mounted that
makes the difference in the quality of mowing.  You will probably find that
it's easier to please your FIL if you have a ground-following deck as
opposed to a deck that's carried by the tractor frame.  Sometimes the
difference in those two styles is just how it's used by the operator rather
than how it's designed.  If you make use of the roller or gauge wheels all
the time, then it's a ground-following style.  If you set the mowing height
by operating a lever on the side of the tractor frame somewhere, then it's
the other style.  The three Woods mowers I have owned in the past were
"convertible" from the standpoint that the height adjustment consisted of
changing the location of the support wheels, but if you didn't want to take
the time to change that and just carried the deck with the wheels off the
ground, then it was a carried mower and it didn't do as good of a job.

I once ran into an owner who was extremely upset because his Snapper mower
(the grand-daddy of carried decks) wasn't cutting right.  I found out that
he was mowing in the morning before the dew disappeared and the blades left
swirls in the lawn because of that.  I tried to get him to wait until later
in the day, but that interfered with his television viewing.  :-)  Owners
will also complain about uneven cutting with carried decks when all that's
wrong is that they haven't checked the air pressure in the tractor tires.
Duh!

If someone asked my opinion, I would recommend using a ground-following
deck; keep the height mechanism (wheels or roller) in good shape; and keep
the blades sharp.  Dull blades not only cause ragged cutting, but they use
up gobs of horsepower.  On the church lot that I mow regularly, dull blades
can use up an extra gallon of gas in a single mowing (six acres.)  I
resharpen after every 10 - 12 hours of use.  I have the mower deck here at
home for winter maintenance.  I'll probably go over it pretty thoroughly
right after the first of the year.

Larry