[AT] OT Merry Christmas! And ramble

Larry D Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Tue Dec 25 08:27:35 PST 2007

Tell me, Mattias, does the floor plan of a farm house in modern Sweden still
follow the age-old plan from several hundred years ago?  In northern and
eastern Europe at that time, the hearth was central to the dwelling, both
literally and figuratively.  The bottom end of the chimney could be 2 meters
square or more and there was a ladder located inside that ran most of the
way to the top so that the chimney could be used for dried and smoked meats
and other food storage.  With that sort of mental image in a child's head,
there would be no problem in believing that Santa (Saint Nicholas) could
indeed arrive and leave through the chimney.

I don't know how widespread that particular floor plan was, but I know it
was common in northern Germany, Pomerania, and eastward to the Volga delta
on the Caspian Sea.  Was it also common in Sweden?

Larry