[AT] Check planting

Richard Walker richardwalker at pobox.com
Tue Dec 25 07:50:47 PST 2007

>My grandfather started his grove on Euclid in Anaheim in 1910. My
>father planted his grove on Katella and Gilbert (the 20' foot
>spacing) in the late forties.

I remember that area, Ernst.  A little further north just past La
Palma on Blue Gum was a property full of junk equipment, most of
which had been salvaged from nearby farms and ranches.  Among old
orchard Cat's and a Model A smudge oil truck he also had a couple of
Lindemann BO John Deer crawlers.  Everything is long gone, though.

Did you know that there are no longer any commercially producing
orange groves left in Orange County?  The last one got dozed out for
development several years ago.

>I still have the orchard model Allis Chalmers M that my grandfather
>bought new in 1938. Both the tractor and I are a long ways away from
>Orange County in Western NC

That's great.  Do you still use it?  Not too many local growers used
M's - most had Cat 15's, 22's or D2's - but I remember once talking
to an orchard care guy who always disked with an M and claimed it
would outpull any Cat of approximately the same size.

Richard