[Farmall] I hate mice

James Moran jrmoraninc at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 24 12:47:31 PST 2007

JJ-
I, too, suggested the benefits of felines to Frank.  Some people (not to suggest that this is true of Frank) have a serious aversion to cats, though.
In terms of the woodchucks of this world, for years we kept horses and the holes were a dangerous thing for them.  At the time, we had a brother/sister pair of Dalmatians.  They would size up the woodchuck's "position" and, in a sense, "sneak up" in a sort of crawl.  Once the dog was sure that he/she could close the distance before the prey could go to ground, it would sprint and grab the critter by the neck and, one or two brisk shakes later, that was that.
Personally, here in New York, I have a fox problem.  They are wily and who has the time to sit patiently with a 22-250 in hand.  Coyote are on the rise, as well.  There is the (IMHO) wrongheadedness when it comes to reintroducing "indigenous species" to the environment.  I suppose that one day I will look out of the window only to see a Woolly Mammoth or Saber Tooth Tiger. ;-)
Jim

John Junkroski <jpjunk at mc.net> wrote: Frank,
I hate to state the obvious, but the simple answer is "cats".

We have two, and our delightful neighbor is an exceptional animal-
lover who adopts every stray that comes by, feeds them in her barn
and must have more than a dozen. We don't have a mouse problem any more.

Now if I could only find a pet big enough to take on the &8%!@
groundhogs. Talk about damage!
( Is it legal to keep a mountain lion in your barn?)

John