[Farmall] I hate mice

James Moran jrmoraninc at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 24 12:06:06 PST 2007

Frank-
Well, I guess that mice (and other rodents) will try to consume just about anything.  I have heard that "gnawing" has something to do with the animal's efforts to "chisel down" their incisors but I can't speak to the accuracy.  Goats were always characterized as eaters of tin cans, but it appears that it is/was the salt content of the can's labeling that attracted them.  I do not know of any commercial "preparation that fully discourages them.  The best that I can do is to cover the exhausts and, with whatever regularity that I can manage, inspect and start the machinery.
Have you considered a cat or a cobra? ;-)
Happy holidays and, yes, I too hate mice or, as Mr. Jinx used to say in the Hanna Barbera cartoons...."I hate "meeces" to pieces".
Jim

Frank DeWitt <Frank at lbpinc.com> wrote: I was using the Farmall 200 on Sunday and I put it away. shut off the
fuel, and was waiting for it to run out of gas when a LOUD Bang.  I
look over at the gauges and the glass is gone from the Amp meter and
what is left doesn't look to good.  I pull the battery, and sure
enough The area between the battery and the switches and gauges is
packed full of mice nest and dead mice.  I hate mice.

Cleaned everything out last night including the dead meter and the
dead temp gauge (mice stuff rotted though the tubing. (I hate
mice)  Today I put in new gauges and new wiring in that area.  Every
thing works now.

Some observations and questions.

Farmall didn't fuse much.  Only the lights are fused.  also, the
glass fuse and fuse holder don't work real well.  I found that NAPA
sells some nice after market fuse holders.
http://www.bussmann.com/images/8ef32c7b-c26c-4fd0-b016-471b7f380230.jpg
http://www.bussmann.com/images/44fcdd4b-b905-4688-9176-cc90024f7930.jpg
I installed one of these for the lights and left it poking out near
the back corner of the battery side plates  It doesn't show unless
you know it is there.  I think this spring I may add one at the 6V
output at the start switch.  Perhaps another at the output of the generator.

 From past experience plus observing what is in there.  Crimp on
connectors will corrode.  Crimp and solder  Those wire nuts that are
pre filled with weather proof goop for trucking use DO work.  The
wires were nice and clean.

Mice like to eat the new plastic wire more then the old plastic or
cloth covered wire.  Does any one know why? or where to get the old
kind of wire?  The hardware store thought heat resistant wire might
work.  He only had #14.

BIG Question.  How do I keep mice out of my tractor.  What do you
do?  Do I need to inspect it once or twice a year?  How about that
Mice be gone spray?  Moth balls?  I protect my antique generator with
mothballs, but I seal it in plastic to do it.

Other advice, or thoughts?

I hate mice.

Frank

  Frank DeWitt

  Light plant WEB page
http://www.oldengine.org/members/frank
  Mechanical Design      mailto:frank at lbpinc.com
  LBP  INC.              Phone:  585 624 3052
  2365 Cox Rd.           Fax     585 624 1038
  Bloomfield NY 14469    Web   http://www.lbpinc.com