[AT] Check planting (was) Homemade tractors.

Larry D Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Sun Dec 23 10:19:45 PST 2007

What I remember about checking is that it was a real pain.  The planter
automatically checked the planting, but you had to run this long wire all
the way across the field that operated the mechanism on the planter when you
passed by with big metal lumps in the wire.  The pain was that the wire had
to be moved at both ends of the field  before every pass with the planter.
It was "not exactly" a one-man operation.  It took three of us to make the
planter work with any efficiency at all -- one to drive, and one at each end
of the field to move the wire.  Oscar and Nettie had no children so for him,
check planting was very time-consuming.  At least he got to ride the planter
on every third pass he made across the field.  His horses got a lot of rest
in between the actual planting.  The aliquots in corn country for a "1/2,
1/4, 1/4" section are 660 feet wide.  That's 40 rods, but I don't know
anything other than check wire that came in that length.  Fencing was always
20 rods per roll.  In between planting seasons, storing the wire was also a
pain.

Larry