[AT] Homemade tractors.

Ed Stewart edstewart1 at verizon.net
Sun Dec 23 07:38:04 PST 2007

Good morning! I have had experience with homemade tractors. When I was
young there were three in the neighborhood, My dad had one made with a
Model T Ford engine, tranny and frame shortened some, with a Model A
Ford tranny right behind the Model T tranny coupled to a Model T truck
worm drive rearend with dual wheels and chains, It ran hot so he put a
heavy 50 gallon oil drum crossways on the backend of the frame over the
rearend and plumbed it in between the engine and radiator, then it
stayed cool, just below a boil when working. One neighbor had a Model A
with a chain drive conversion kit with about five foot steel wheels,
Later own after we quit farming we were logging and needed a skidder so
Dad and I took a 1950 Chevy Stubnose cab over truck and shortened it and
removed the cab and put an A frame(old moblehome tongue) with tie rods
running up front and placed a 55 gallon drum of concrete in the center
front of the A frame for weight. It was amazing the size trees it would
skid out of the woods, but you had to keep your foot close to the clutch
always because if the log hung up you had to be quick or it would rear
up fast.. I now have a homemade tractor using a 6 horse hitnmiss
Hercules engine with a Sears-Roebuck Ford conversion to farm tractor kit
for a rearend I am chain driving the Model A rearend and there is a
pinion gear that replaced the ford rear wheels and a big gear that is
inside the five foot steel wheels I have a four speed tranny chain
driving a three speed and it runs from a very slow crawl to about 6 mile
per hour,It has unbelievable power at the back wheels. I also have a S24
Speedex driven by a twin Wisconsin and a much converted S 17 Speedex
running gear with a Four Horse Sattley throttle governed flywheel engine
which I take to shows. I will post a link with pictures.. Merry
Christmas, Ed