[AT] Spam> Favorite tractor?

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sat Dec 22 08:49:29 PST 2007

You need to separate the two issues: 1. what you need to accomplish and
2. what you enjoy as a hobby.

If you are getting your trails cut adequately at minimal cost in a
timely manner, then you might as well not "fix what ain't broke".

But if you like to mess around with old machinery (as I do), then you
can select a wide choice of machines that will do the job and have fun
doing it. If all you want to do is maintain the trails, then you can get
by with machines like a Ford N, Farmall A/C, A-C B/C, JD M/MT/40, and so
on - pick your favorite color. The Fords ride nicely and are easy to
find parts for, the IH's are plentiful and easy to get parts for, the
A-C are usually inexpensive, and the JD's are plentiful but not so
cheap. I don't think there is a "best", but you might want to go with a
brand that has some dealer support in your area - that will tend to make
life easier down the road when you need parts or help.

One of the best "bush whackers" I own is a 1955 Farmall Cub with a Woods
C-42 center mounted 42" cutter - it will chop its way through almost
anything, as long as you have the time. Obviously, with only 10 hp and a
narrow cut, you can't be in a big hurry, but with gas at $3/gallon and
up, it won't empty your wallet either. The other machines mentioned
above will usually handle a 5' cutter, either three point (for the Fords
and some of the later JD's) or trailing for the Farmalls and A-C's.

The only disadvantage of all of these '40s and 50's era machines is that
they all have PTO drives that must be engaged with the transmission, so
that you need to get the mower going as you move forward - a trick that
takes a little getting used to. If you want an "independent" PTO, you
have to move up in time to newer machinery (and higher prices).

Mike