[AT] Allis C doesn't charge.

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Fri Dec 21 20:17:26 PST 2007

    MY Allis C (1946 if IIRC) has "ALWAYS" given charging problems from the
time an old family friend bought it new. He fought it for years. We got it
sometime in the 1960's I think. We rebuilt about everything more than once
over the years and finally gave it a new generator and a regulator
conversion kit and that held for a good while. Over the last few years it
has fallen back into its old habits. I like to keep stuff kind of original
but I'm giving serious thought to biting the bullet and giving it an
alternator conversion and 12 volts. The conversion alternator is a one wire
system (from www.natauto.com) with an internal regulator. If I break down
and do this I will keep all of the original stuff just in case so it can be
put back without chasing parts. I've just become weary of it not being ready
to go when I am far too often... My other 6 volt stuff starts well except
the #$%& CUB but that one is my fault for just not fixing it yet. It worked
perfect for many many years and will again when I fix it. That C just seems
to have a jinxed charging system... The starter on this C also tends to have
grounding problems and draws quite hard unless it is absolutely perfect. I
wouldn't think so much of it if it was not for the fact that all of these
other tractors here go for many many years without problems.
    BTW, the old family friend didn't have a regular battery charger but up
on a shelf in the shed that the C was kept in he had an old 6 volt generator
from an old car that had a regulator and two wires that were soldered to a
couple of small sharpened nails. It was belted to an old washing motor. He
would tap the nails into the top of the battery post and flip on the motor
to charge the battery.
    That reminds me of an item in some 1940's Popular Mechanics magazines
where they told how to make a wooden mount so you could use an old washing
machine motor (boy, those things got used for a lot of stuff) to charge up a
dead battery. You made this board to fit your particular vehicle's engine.
You took the fan belt off and belted the generator to the washing machine
motor on the board. After you charged it a while you then put the belt back
in place and started the car.

--
"farmer"

Our wretched species is so made that those who walk on the
well-trodden path always throw stones at those who are
showing a new road.  ~Voltaire

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana, USA
robinson at svs.net