[AT] Garden Tractor value

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Fri Dec 21 13:26:43 PST 2007

The Hotline guide puts the retail of a 1979 JD-317 between $915 to $ 686.  A
1982's retail is $1447 to $1085.  Last lawn tractor auction I went to these
wholesaled for $200 to $500, most on the lower end.  Lawntractors just don't
get any respect at a big dealer's clearance auction, even with a big name
auctioneer like Teitsworth.  There may have been 300 or so various units
sold, drivers just continuously drove them over a ramp so the very large
crowd could see them.  Only seconds were spent on each one.  If you were
particularly interested in one, get on it and drive it over and wait your
turn to go up the ramp and bid on it if you want.  The ones that wouldn't
start and/or run were sold after these "good" ones sold.  I was surprised
how little lawn tractors bring at auction.  There was a strong John Deere
flavor to this auction and 200 series machines were seldom over $200 - this
was probably 6 or so years ago in the Rochester NY area - its an annual well
attended auction that many dealers use to clean up before the selling
season.  I bought a 3112H simplicity that did not cross the ramp - the bevel
gear transmission was stripped, but it had a hydraulic lift - which was
relatively scarce for the period.

Richard- use this for what it is worth, free advice.

Carl Gogol
Manlius, NY
AC One Seventy diesel
(2) AC D-14, AC 914H