[AT] IH 504-& Kioti DK55

H. L. Staples hlstaples at mcloudteleco.com
Wed Dec 19 19:20:57 PST 2007

The new Kioti that we bought last year has a really big hydraulic filter on
the suction side of the pumps.  The hydraulic and power steering pumps have
a common suction line.

As a safety mounted after the filter is a vacuum switch in case something
causes any suction blockage, plugged filter etc. also a temperature switch
to warn if the oil becomes overheated.

In the circuit is a startup timer so that cold oil does not trigger a
warning.  I became aware of these things because the temperature safety
switch failed closed, causing a fault warning as soon as the timer Ran out.

Thankfully Kioti came through with the replacement parts no charge. Timer,
vacuum and temperature switch. Glad I have the service manual and am able to
read the electrical schematics.

H. L. Staples
McLoud, Oklahoma
USA

On 12/19/2007 5:45:38 PM, Greg Hass (gkhass at avci.net) wrote: > I > haven't
seen any replies to this post so I will give it a try. In my > opinion,
adding a filter in the return line is like locking the barn door > after the
horse is gone. I would say that 95% of any damage to a hydraulic > system is
done by things going through the pump and valves without being > filtered
out. My dad bought a 504 new when they were being sold. We had it > for many
years. I don't > remember exactly what the filters looked like, but > they
were on the SUCTION side of the pump. I believe there was a fine mesh > >
screen before the filters. This way any dirt that enters the system should >
> be caught by the filters before it gets to the pump and valves. I believe
> > all IH tractors since the > 340's and tractors of that era have filters
in the > suction line. I don't > know about all other tractors, but I do
know that many > of the Fords had the filter after the pump. A neighbor had
one, I don't > remember the number, but it was in the thousand series. The
internal brakes > went to pieces and before he knew what was wrong, it had
destroyed the > hydraulic system. He said that when he fixed it there was a
kit available to > put the filter before the pump. Not sure of all the
details as this was 15 > years ago. Another neighbor had a Ford industrial
loader tractor, fairly new > as it had the modern type of front wheel assist
 The gear that ran the front > wheels, or the bearing on it, went to pieces
and the metal chips destroyed > the hydraulics. He replaced many parts, but
never could get the 3 point > hitch to work properly even though he had the
dealer work on it several > times. He finally gave up and about 3 years ago
traded it for a new tractor. > Again, the filter was in the return line. On
the other hand, about 7 years > ago, I was plowing with my IH 856, when I
lost the power steering. I went to > the yard and opened