[AT] grounds

K7jdj at aol.com K7jdj at aol.com
Tue Dec 18 15:16:14 PST 2007

In a message dated 12/17/2007 5:43:10 P.M.  Pacific Standard Time,
drupert at premier1.net writes:
In my initial post I  expressed my perplexity as to Warren's friends advise
that he didn't need a  ground rod at his shop ... and I am still perplexed.

Don't feel  alone.  The NEC has changed many times over the years and has
attempted to  sort out some confusion on the subject of grounds.  If anyone is
still  interested art. 250.56 addresses how many ground rods are required.
Basically  you need two unless you measure the ground resistance (less than 25 ohms)
Not  many people have the equipment required to measure ground resistance and
 therefore install two ground rods.

On the issue of the installation of  secondary panels, generally if the panel
is installed in the same structure it  must utilize the same ground that the
panel that feeds it utilizes. (see art.  250.32 B and C)  If it is in a
detached structure then it may (or not) use  a separate ground.  There are many
arts. covering this issue and you will  find considerable professional different
interpretations of these arts. There  are also exceptions and special
considerations for structures that house animals  (barns).  I  find this a very
interesting subject.

In my past  life I inspected and tested electrical systems including  grounds
and  neutral bounding for the Federal Aviation Administration at remote
locations.

I didn't mention the grounding of generators but the  code is reasonably
clear on the requirements.  As the saying goes "it all  depends"  :)

Gary
Renton Wa.
Who wishes I wasn't grounded  when checking plug wires on a running antique
tractor.

2 F Cletrac's
1  W Cletrac
1 JD B