[AT] : Ice Storm

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Tue Dec 18 05:43:55 PST 2007

If you look at the NAVFAC illustrations on grounding the generator
shack, it has a grounding grid outside fastened to the building and
connected to the neutral.   Looks like lightning protection grid.   I
have 3 steel buildings out here and each one has a ground rod driven
under the service box and connected.  May not be according to code, but
it stops a lot of problems.  I had a real interesting one a few months
back where a fence panel was causing a baling wire to glow where it
fastened between the panel and the corner post.  Never did figure out
where that was happening.  Onluy registered 6 volt differential, but
would make a baling wire glow.  A travel trailer was hooked to service
nearby and the power box was hanging on the fence about 50 yards away.
We laid new wiring to the bax and hookup and drove a ground rod in and
it quit.  However, at the same time the water heater was changed in the
trailer.  It had a electric auxillary element.  I suspect the element
was what was causing the curerent.

Cecil in OKla