[AT] GFCI's

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Mon Dec 17 07:44:50 PST 2007

    One more thing about GFCI's is that if you install one at the first
outlet in a string of several outlets all of the others on down-line are
supposedly protected.
    I have been (slowly) adding some to my wiring for places other than
outside outlets and bathroom circuits. I have never had one trip yet other
than by pushing the test button so they are not a problem at all as far as I
can tell. I need to add one ahead of an extension cord that pulls out 100
feet and then winds back in with a crank into a net basket. It is used often
at the back door of the shop and is constantly used with hand held power
tools (drills, small grinders etc.) and at times under kind of wet
conditions.
    I have a large grinder on a stand that has the motor mounted in the base
below that "might" have a problem with a GFCI. I blow it out now and then
but I know it has a lot of steel grinding dust drifting inside of it.
    I figure that the GFCI's are pretty cheap and if I can add the
protection by just adding one as the first outlet in a string that it is
cheap insurance. I have been zapped a number of times over many years and I
can't recall ever enjoying it...   :-)

--
"farmer"

When you reach the end of your rope