[AT] grounds

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Sun Dec 16 18:09:03 PST 2007

Charlie,  the house I live in is 50+ years old and has had several owners.
A few years ago I was in the shower.  Everything was fine until I started to
turn off the water.  When I touched the knobs I got a heck of a jolt.  I
managed to get them turned off, got dressed and found my multi-meter.  At
first I had no current in the shower, then all of a sudden I had 60 Volts
between the knobs and the cast iron bath tub.  Then the current was gone
again.  Some thinking and searching lead me to a utility closet that houses
the oil furnace and the hot water heater.  The furnace was running.  I
checked and had 120 V between the furnace cabinet and the water heater
cabinet.

When I finally figured it out here is what was wrong.  First off someone had
replaced part of the galvanized cold water supply piping to the hot water
heater with PVC.  Then over time 120 V wiring for the furnace fan had rubbed
on the housing until it rubbed through the cloth insulation on the 50's
vintage wiring.  When the furnace fan would come on the fan voltage was
trying to go to ground on the furnace cabinet but the house ground circuit
was broken so the stray current was flowing through the hot water heater and
going to ground through me when I tried to turn the water off.  The furnace
fan had not been running when I turned the water on.

Luckily I was able to figure it out and get it fixed without anyone getting
hurt.

Charlie