[AT] Caution - Oil question

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Sun Dec 16 14:04:47 PST 2007

Last winter I replaced the front main seal and used one of those fancy
repair sleeves on the crankshaft of an AC D-14.  I am in the middle of
trying to fit this tractor up with one of these side mount all hydraulic
sickle bar type road mowers (that can be a another story- some day).  No
time to work on it when the weather is good - too many chainsaw activites to
fill my time so it hasn't been run for more than an hour until about 3 weeks
ago.

All summer long the oil slowly leaked from the seal I replaced.  The tractor
was used for a few hours about 3 weeks ago to pull a brush chipper from pile
to pile and then put it away.

My question is related to a quick observation - the leak seems to have
slowed down significantly since the use.  One more piece of info - I
upgraded to a synthetic blend oil since it was cheap when bought and it
seems a shame to change the oil every year with so little use.  Does a
synthetic slow down the normal wearing in process of a seal or did I some
how screw up this somewhat simple job?

Carl Gogol
Manlius, NY
AC One Seventy diesel