[AT] : Ice Storm

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 18:41:23 PST 2007

I don't know if the location has anything to do with it. I would say
that it would be more based on the person. Wouldn't the boy scouts
already have the generators and the less prepared types just not care?
I'd also hazard a guess that most of the folks on this list are rather
well prepared for whatever Mother Nature would care to toss at them.

Here in AZ I'm not worried about ice storms. On the other hand, we get
some pretty harsh monsoons and they're tough on power lines. The local
utilities have responded by burying the lines and this does wonders
for power reliability but again, that's putting trust in someone else.

So to be prepared, I have an Onan generator out of a motor home and a
PTO generator (13KW) that I've tested on my Case DV. That little PTO
generator works mighty handy. I've got a trailer configured with holes
drilled in the deck that I set the generator on and bolt down. The PTO
shaft reaches the tractor nicely when all hitched to the trailer. This
way I can haul my generator, welder, lights, compressor and other
tools out to a job, hook up and do the job (whatever it is... welding,
cutting, sandblasting, etc) and drive it all back to the shop. The
generator is 120/240 and while I haven't connected it to the house to
see if it will run the A/C and freezers, it certainly should do the
trick. It might look goofy to the folks in our little urban area but I
won't be without power as long as I can get the tractor to fire up.

That and keeping propane bottles for the grille, we can be without
power for a while and still be OK and should even have A/C if it's
summertime. No, I don't have Murphy switches, but I figure if I gotta
run the tractor, I should probably be able to get out there and listen
to it. :)

Ken in AZ (with a 5 month old tractor-guy starting to protest...)