[AT] ATIS Charity Auction

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Wed Dec 12 14:14:10 PST 2007

I've heard lots of stories about the ways Northern Europeans and US
decendants eat herring.  Just for the sake of discussion let me tell you how
us good ole boy SE US red necks eat the stuff.
We only eat them in the spring when they run up the local rivers and creeks
to spawn.  We catch them fresh with a variety of different net techniques.
The REAL sportsmen catch them with a rod and reel and artificial lures.  We
gut them, scale them and cut their heads off (not necessarily in that
order).  Then we score the sides of the fish laterally all the way to the
bone about 3 or 4 times on each side.
Now it's time to bread them lightly in a mixture of white corn meal, flour,
salt and black pepper.  Next they go into hot oil in a cast iron pot and fry
until they float.  Take them out, let them drip a few seconds, put one  fish
on one slice of white bread, coat generously with Texas Pete hot pepper
sauce and wash it down with a cold Pepsi or Coke or a cold beer.   It's
important to fry them until they float.  That way you can eat bones and all
and never know the difference.

NO I'm not joking.  That's the way we do it.

Charlie