[Farmall] IH240U Charging Problem

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Dec 12 03:29:21 PST 2007

There are a lot of things that could be causing your problem. The
easiest is a generator belt that is a little loose and slipping under
load, especially in damp weather. Another is a "dirty" commutator on the
generator or worn brushes or "soft" brush springs. Those are not
difficult to remedy, but some knowledge and/or experience would be
necessary. The generator almost certainly not a three brush model, nor
does it have the "high charge" switch that was on some of the 1940s era
IH tractors.

More difficult to deal with is a voltage regulator that has gotten tired
- generally speaking, replacement is the best cure.

Now, it should be noted that those old Delco tractor generators aren't
all that powerful, and if you are running at only a little over low idle
speed with all the lights on, it is certainly possible that the
generator couldn't keep up with the load. Have you been watching the
ammeter while you were working? If the needle isn't positioned on the
"charge" side of center, then the generator just isn't keeping up. If
you bring the engine speed up, then the ammeter should show a charge.
The type of use you are giving the tractor is exactly the reason I have
converted some of my old Farmalls to 12 alternator - snow plowing at
night for hours on end. See:
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/international_240u/240u4140506.html>
for the conversion on my 240.

And, finally, why did you change out the battery? If it was because it
wouldn't start the tractor, the problem might have existed back then.

If you aren't experienced with taking generators apart and assembling
them, I suggest you remove it and take it to a local auto electric shop
for diagnosis - they don't usually charge a lot to clean the commutator,
undercut the segments, and install new brushes/springs (if needed). Some
of the older places will even let you watch! And, if you remove the
voltage regulator (carefully noting how the wires are connected), they
will test the entire system under load to see where the problem lies.

Mike