[Ford-ferguson] Ford-ferguson Digest, Vol 43, Issue 3

Compmikey at aol.com Compmikey at aol.com
Tue Dec 11 09:38:22 PST 2007

In a message dated 12/11/2007 12:09:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ford-ferguson-request at lists.antique-tractor.com writes:

I  run Rotella 15W-40 in my modern Ford diesel utility
tractor (23HP Ford/New  Holland 1520HST circa 1990) but it's
not synthetic.  Maybe there's  another product by the same
name that is synthetic.  Rotella has an  excellent reputation
and a smart marketing guy might start slapping it on a  whole
range of products, who knows.  Also, diesel engines seem  to
generally call for higher viscosities and I am not sure
you'd find  Rotella in a 0W or 5W.

I'm in total agreemnt.  Rotella (& other diesel rated ) oils still
conatin zinc, which was removed from most passenger car
oils as smog laws became tighter in the 80's(?) .  I think  it
had something to do with contaminating O2 sensors in engines
that burned excessive oil.  If you read cam grinders' literature
closely, non-roller cams require zinc-rich oils for break in, to
avoid wiping-out the lobes during break-in.  This was not an  isuue
a few decades ago, when all oils contained zinc.  Related to  that,
my truck garage friend says they see many diesel with wiped cams
due to people cheating and using the slighgly less expensive car  oils.
Rotella diesel rated oil is good stuff.
Mike V