[Steam-engine] Boiler Inspections

Ken Majeski fuller_johnson1 at msn.com
Tue Dec 11 07:40:46 PST 2007

Well.... You Probably Don't want to hear from me... :) Here in Wisconsin we pretty much alternate between a Internal and a Hydro Every other year with a UT Every 5 years... There is rumor some inspectors are doing an In Service inspection also... At Least I know of one that has done some.

Problem we have is in the safty factors.... Some inspectors require 5... Some 4, Some will allow 4 with Proof of at least 55,000 Tensil strength.... I know of 2 guys that had to cut a piece out  and have it tested. Our inspectors will Not do UT... You have to have that done by somebody else...

The real Kicker is that so far ASME Boilers aren't required to UT at All... My Case was never UT'd for the state and was current untill July 2006. This was No Doubt a decision by someone that Didn't think that any ASME traction boilers were built.... Some engines are required to have 2 separate water feeds... While I see many at shows that only have one...????

Some of us are Kinda waiting on the "New Appendix C" which will put the Safety Factor and UT Issue in Black and White so we know where we stand....

So Far we have No Reciprocity but we are trying to get that changed....

I haven't had my engine inspected lately as I haven't taken it off the farm anyway....  Maybe if they get all the inconsistancies ironed out that could change.... ????Ken Majeski, Ellsworth Wis. Case Steam Engine, Rumely Oilpulls H, F & R. Bunch Of Gas Engines. > Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 06:15:37 -0800> From: pioneersop96 at yahoo.com> To: steam-engine at lists.stationary-engine.com> Subject: Re: [Steam-engine] Boiler Inspections> > Everybody, thanks for the replys. This is exactly the> kind of info that I am looking for. Don't condiser my> questions answered though. I want to hear from as> many of you as possible. Please also share the good> points and bad points of the system in your area. > > > --- Lawrence Swanz <LSwanz at superioriron.com> wrote:> > > Andy,> > > > Yes, Minnesota has both boiler inspections and a> > licensee examination. The exam, at current status,> > in the process of changing some of the criteria,> > requires that you have a minimum of 20 hours and an> > affidavit from a licensed engineer prior to taking> > the examination. I believe the exam is 50 questions> > now. It is a lifetime license. I hold three> > licenses...Minnesota Hobby Boiler license, ASOPE,> > and the Nuilpe (sp?)> > > > As for boiler inspections. For first time hobby> > boiler inspections in our state, called a shop> > inspection, the inspector will do both hydro and> > U.T.'s. After a following two years, you are> > required to do one or the other, your discretion for> > the first time. Then they follow each other. So in> > other words, two years following the shop inspection> > you decide to go with U.T.'s...in another two years> > you will be subject to a hydro. Two years later, a> > total of six now, you are subject to a U.T. again. > > This continues for the life of the boiler or until> > it leaves our fair state. As for minimum> > requirements. If you have a grate are of 2 square> > feet or less or the inside diameter of the barrel is> > less than 12"...there is a third one, but it slips> > me right now. If you fall under one of these three> > requirements, you don't need to meet all three, just> > one, then you aren't subject to a Minnesota's boiler> > inspection. However, most shows still inspect the> > scale models, just as a go!> > od practice of safety, although they aren't> > required to do so.> > > > As for the formulas....we follow the N.B.I.C. pretty> > closely with a few minor tweaks. One being, we use> > the actual joint efficiency to determine factor of> > safety for lap seams to be used in conjunction with> > the barrel formula. The fusible plug has to be> > changed out every ten years of service. You need to> > show documentation that your boiler proper (piping)> > is all schedule 80 or you will be subject to> > replacing your current piping. You are allowed to> > run two safety valves. The original, which you can> > set five lbs. lighter than the MAWP. But you have> > to have a sealed A.S.M.E. safety valve set to your> > current M.A.W.P.> > > > This is the readers digest version. I have only> > skimmed over the highlights. I would suggest going> > to the Minnesota Boiler Divisions website, as they> > have a lot more information available there. I hope> > this helps.> > > > Lawrence> > > > -----Original Message-----> > From:> > steam-engine-bounces at lists.stationary-engine.com> >> [mailto:steam-engine-bounces at lists.stationary-engine.com]On> > Behalf Of> > lorija799 at aol.com> > Sent: Monday, December 10, 2007 8:46 PM> > To: steam-engine at lists.stationary-engine.com> > Subject: Re: [Steam-engine] Boiler Inspections> > > > > > > > Hydro and visual are annual.? Soft plug> > descretionary.> > > > > > > > JJT> > > > Andy Glines> Evansville, IN> > > ____________________________________________________________________________________> Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs> _______________________________________________> Steam-engine mailing list> http://www.stationary-engine.com/mailman/listinfo/steam-engine