[Steam-engine] Boiler Inspections

Lawrence Swanz LSwanz at superioriron.com
Tue Dec 11 04:20:40 PST 2007

Andy,

Yes, Minnesota has both boiler inspections and a licensee examination.  The exam, at current status, in the process of changing some of the criteria, requires that you have a minimum of 20 hours and an affidavit from a licensed engineer prior to taking the examination.  I believe the exam is 50 questions now.  It is a lifetime license.  I hold three licenses...Minnesota Hobby Boiler license, ASOPE, and the Nuilpe (sp?)

As for boiler inspections.  For first time hobby boiler inspections in our state, called a shop inspection, the inspector will do both hydro and U.T.'s.  After a following two years, you are required to do one or the other, your discretion for the first time.  Then they follow each other.  So in other words, two years following the shop inspection you decide to go with U.T.'s...in another two years you will be subject to a hydro.  Two years later, a total of six now, you are subject to a U.T. again.  This continues for the life of the boiler or until it leaves our fair state.  As for minimum requirements.  If you have a grate are of 2 square feet or less or the inside diameter of the barrel is less than 12"...there is a third one, but it slips me right now.  If you fall under one of these three requirements, you don't need to meet all three, just one, then you aren't subject to a Minnesota's boiler inspection.  However, most shows still inspect the scale models, just as a good practice of safety, although they aren't required to do so.

As for the formulas....we follow the N.B.I.C. pretty closely with a few minor tweaks.  One being, we use the actual joint efficiency to determine factor of safety for lap seams to be used in conjunction with the barrel formula.  The fusible plug has to be changed out every ten years of service.  You need to show documentation that your boiler proper (piping) is all schedule 80 or you will be subject to replacing your current piping.  You are allowed to run two safety valves.  The original, which you can set five lbs. lighter than the MAWP.  But you have to have a sealed A.S.M.E. safety valve set to your current M.A.W.P.

This is the readers digest version.  I have only skimmed over the highlights.  I would suggest going to the Minnesota Boiler Divisions website, as they have a lot more information available there.  I hope this helps.

Lawrence