[AT] shop cleaning

Francis Robinson robinson at svs.net
Mon Dec 10 23:04:41 PST 2007

----- Original Message -----

>I to have a rule about storing too much in my shop.

    Hi Greg:
    When you were in my shop some years ago it was semi-clean compared to
the last several years. It is cleaning up fairly fast now as I move "stuff"
out. I still have a shoe sole stitching machine (600 pounds) to move out and
two or three Shopsmiths that get moved to one of the grain bins. An open
drive-in bay is a constant invitation to sit something in there "just for
now"...   ;-)   "Now" is a period of time that has no set length.   :-)   I
also have two kitchen stoves that sneaked in there when I was not looking
and I just moved the John Deere lawn tractor out about a week or so ago. It
still has a 22 HP Yardman lawn tractor sitting in there. I need to move a
wagon load of hay out of the east barn and move a couple of pallets of hay
from an area there so I can store both lawn tractors there over the winter.
The kitchen stoves will sit in one of the grain bins "just for now"   ;-)
until I can sell them. I really need to empty one of the bins by next summer
so I can keep a little hay in there over the winter next year. That saves
driving down the road to the west barn when some one stops in to buy 3 bales
to bed a dog or cat.
    You and your family sat in the old family room (that is now the wood
shop) when you were here. It was always a bit crude for a family room (but
served us well) but is pretty nice for a shop.   :-)   We have never
considered "fancy" to be very important. Diana and I both are about as
formal as a sack of old shop rags. We do however like a lot of space and
will always trade fancy for more open space even if it is a little rough
around the edges. Our living room (20' X 36') in this house is a little
smaller (but fancier) than that old family room was but the rest of the
house is large (approx. 5,000 sq. ft. total) so I don't feel too confined. I
can wander around a lot. We do miss putting up 12' Christmas trees every
year but Diana won't let me saw a hole in the ceiling here.   :-)
    I have a 43' X 30' concrete block building over in the next county that
I would absolutely kill to have sitting here on this farm but that is not
going to happen. It has one overhead door and a lot of big old factory type
windows. It is "full of stuff", most of which I need to make go away...
:-)
    Too much "stuff"... Way too much stuff...
    Simplify, simplify, simplify...
    Did I mention that I have 3 haylofts that are full of stuff too...

--
"farmer"

When you reach the end of your rope
 tie a knot and hang on...