[Farmall] Farmalls in the snow/city policy

birddog cvill at frontiernet.net
Sun Dec 9 14:49:13 PST 2007

Here are the details for those interested.  Yellow stickers on NYS
plates are for the year 07, by the way.

The joys of living in the snow belt.  Our Village uses a fairly late
model Ford for a sidewalk plow.
** **

****
****

****
Who is Responsible?
****The Code of the City of Rochester, New York (Chapter 104-11)
specifically states that *property owners* must maintain sidewalks
adjacent to their properties free of obstructions and snow and ice. This
responsibility may be performed by property owners, or, in the case of
commercial properties, the first floor tenants.

What does the City do?

The City of Rochester provides supplemental service to help you, the
property owner, meet your sidewalks obligations. Your City maintains a
policy of plowing all sidewalks that are at least five feet (60 inches)
in width.

The City will start plowing sidewalks once new snowfall exceeds four inches.

The City uses private contractors to plow sidewalks.

The City plows 878 miles of sidewalks. These miles are divided into
distinct sidewalk plow runs of approximately nine miles. Each sidewalk
plow run takes about five hours to complete.

City sidewalk snow plowing policies must sometimes be altered to meet
the severity of a snow storm.

Rochester is one of the few cities in the U.S. that provides sidewalk
snow plowing. The service is financed by a separate charge on your
property tax bill. For the typical home, the cost is $10.48 per year.

  Sidewalk Snow Plowing Factors...

The intent of City sidewalk snow plowing is to remove heavy snowfall to
assist property owners in meeting their responsibility.

To make plowing possible, encroachments (such as steps, walls and
plantings) must be no closer than two feet from sidewalks and curbs.

The City will repair lawn damage ("scalping") adjacent to sidewalks
created by our sidewalk plows.

Sidewalk plowing schedules are primarily in the evening and early
morning when pedestrian traffic is at lowest volumes. However, this
schedule is modified to respond actual storm conditions.

City sidewalk plows should travel no more than 10 MPH. Due to the close
proximity to your house, they may appear to be traveling faster.
Sometimes for short distances, a sidewalk plow may have to increase its
speed to clear a heavy accumulation of snow.

City sidewalk plow operators are instructed to not create hazardous
conditions for pedestrians or vehicles.

City residents should not shovel or plow snow into the street.