[AT] Carburetor Icing (Off Topic)

JTakemoto at wildblue.net JTakemoto at wildblue.net
Sun Dec 9 10:42:28 PST 2007

I can see why this subject is so confusing after looking up wind chill I
found this.

1.  According to the new NWS Wind Chill Chart, if the temperature is 0
degrees Fahrenheit and the wind is blowing at 15 mph, the wind chill is
-19 degrees Fahrenheit. This means that without any wind (actually a 3 mph
wind or a 3 mph walking rate), the rate of heat loss would equal that of
outside air at -19 degrees Fahrenheit. At this wind chill temperature,
exposed skin can freeze in 30 minutes. For other conditions of wind and
temperature, check out the new NWS Wind Chill Chart and Calculator.

So much for the chilling effects of wind and cold temperatures on human
skin. What about the effect of wind chill on things like car radiators or
exposed water pipes?

2.  Because wind chill is based on removing heat from the human body,
there is no wind chill for inanimate objects, such as car radiators and
water pipes. However, there is a faster heat loss with increasing winds,
so the amount of time for an object to cool to the actual air temperature
is less. Regardless, the inanimate object cannot not cool below the actual
air temperature. Thus, if the temperature outside is -5 degrees Fahrenheit
and the wind chill temperature is -31 degrees Fahrenheit, then your car's
radiator will not drop lower than -5 degrees Fahrenheit.

Now if that isn't confusing then I sure don't know what it.

According to this a Human body can freeze in 40 degree weather but a car
radiator can't do the same thing by having  wind blowing across the body.
Now i ask what is the difference between a radiator and your body when it
comes to  wind blowing across it.
According to this I guess it won't freeze a dead body only a live one.

Well I give up let the expert figure it out.
J.