[AT] Carburetor Icing (Off Topic)

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Sun Dec 9 02:54:31 PST 2007

    Restriction and constriction are two seperate items.
    Restriction, as provided by the throttle plate reduces the pressure
within the entire intake system and is what we read on a vacuum gauge or
load monitor.
    Constriction is a localized pressure and velocity change whereby the
flow is restricted and then returned to the previous pressure and velocity.
Venturi pull is what draws the fuel into the airstream as it passes through
the carburetor because this the lowest pressure and temperature in the
system. Venturi pull is greatest at the highest air flow, therefor drawing
more fuel for higher power operation.
    The absence of a venturi in the system is the primary reason fuel
injected engines do not suffer intake icing.
    Older aircraft used a vacuum venturi as a means of powering flight
instruments. This was mounted on the outside of the airplane in the
airstream and would provide approximately 5 inches of vacuum by this alone.
This was also subject to freezing at ambient temperatures above 32 degrees

                        Gene